Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Special Education Part One

So I have finally accomplished getting my Spec. Ed. Part 1.

In July of 2010 (this year, last month) I started and completed the course online.
If it's up to me, I probably won't take another online course. It wasn't more difficult; it was just stressful and time consuming. What may have added to the stress of it was that I was teaching Grade 10 Applied Science, a make-up course at Merivale Summer School. I was so busy preparing for summer school (as it was a course I've never taught before and didn't have much material to start with) that I found I didn't have a lot of time to focus on my course. Also, I was working security at Bluesfest for the first half of the month, taking more time away from my course. So I guess...upon reflection, an online course might not be so bad if I'm not so busy. It did offer me the opportunity to continue with my life, and earn some money during the month of July, instead of spending it all in a classroom.

I learned a lot, but I think I might have learned more had I been in a classroom. Having the opportunity to talk about ideas and discuss strategies works better for me as far as learning goes, rather than just reading about other ideas and strategies, and posting about them.

Big thank you to William "Bill" Morton, for being a great course facilitator, and for being so quick to respond to all of his students. If you ever get the chance to talk to him, I suggest you do. If anyone knows anything about classroom management, it's this guy. Even if you only have time to ask him one question, you'll learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment