Tuesday, May 11, 2010

MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES IN THE CLASSROOM: By Thomas Armstrong

As a supply teacher, in my second year of supply teaching, I sometimes worry about what it's going to be like when I get my own classroom? How are the kids going to behave? What and how am I going to teach them. You know the old saying, "If you don't use it, you'll lose it". That's what I worry about teaching sometimes. I feel like I've forgotten everything I learned in teachers college about teaching a real class/course.

I was supply teaching one day at a rural school on the outskirts of Ottawa, sitting the the staff room and eating lunch with another occasional teacher who was in the school that day as well. We were trading horror stories, and lunch turned into our prep. and we talked on. Then the Vice Principal came in with some books in his hands. He came up to us and said: "It's not how smart are you, but how are you smart?" Then handed us these books. Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom by Thomas Armstrong.

I guess it was just good timing. I was thinking about how I could further my career and how I could learn more about teaching without going to work shops because in the board I work for, occasional teachers usually are not invited to these work shops. So I started reading the book. And it was great!

Armstong briefly introduces the reader to the Multiple Intelligence (MI) theory, and lists the eight different intelligences used in this theory. Linguistic, Musical, Spatial, Logical-Mathematical, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Naturalist.

In reading this book we learn about all eight different intelligences and different ways to teach to these intelligences. We learn about different classroom management strategies to use with these intelligences as well. There are sample lesson plans, he gives us ideas on different methods of assessment and evaluation, checklists to help you determine your 'intelligence' and that of students also. He also gives us ideas on how to track students' intelligences and find out how to teach to them with out the student even knowing how much you are doing for them.

It was a very comprehensive read, without too much industry jargon, and VERY informative. Also on top of that, I feel confident again that I can have a very MI friendly classroom. It rejuvenated my excitement and my desire to have a full time teaching gig. This book has empowered me with the tools to change lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment